For any of you that own a Backup Exec 3600 appliance, you already know that it is a locked-down version of Windows Storage Server 2008. Console access (through a keyboard, mouse, or monitor) is not recommended after the initial setup, and that Remote Desktop is turned off. The only method of administration is through the appliance web portal.
For those of you that are looking for a little more, you can enable RDP through PowerShell. Keep in mind that enabling Remote Desktop is not supported by Symantec and is not considered a best practice. Do so at your own risk.
- Open Powershell on your PC.
- At the Powershell prompt type, set-item wsman:localhostClientTrustedHosts -value “*”
- Next type, Enter-PSSession -ComputerName <IP address> -Configuration Appliance -Credential <username> substituting <IP address> for the IP address of your appliance and the <username> for the username of the appliance (which is probably “administrator”).
- You will get a login prompt. Enter the appliance credentials.
- Type Enable-RemoteDesktop
- Now try initiating a Remote Desktop connection to your appliance.
This setting is not permanent. So when you reboot your appliance, you will likely need to do this again.