This error can be caused by a number of problems but in my case, it was a very simple fix and, it may be for you too. This error occurred after I renamed one of my virtual machines. However, selections for both the new name and the old name still existed in the Backup Exec job. These selections did not show in the GUI. To fix this issue I had to remove the old names from the Backup Details tab. This is the text-based representation of the Backup Selections.
To find this in Backup Exec 2010 R3:
- Open Backup Exec 2010 R3.
- Select the Job Setup tab.
- Double-click the failing job.
- Click Selections tab.
- Click the View Selections Details tab.
- In the text view, find any machines that no longer exist, select, and click Delete.
- Click Submit.