Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter.
UPDATE: Works with Windows 10: A number of readers have reported this works for Windows 10.
If you receive this error on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 while trying to connect with the Cisco VPN Client then the solution is a simple registry fix.
Check out this quick 3 minute video on how to fix. Prefer written instructions? They are right below the video.
- Click Start and type RegEdit in the Search field and hit enter.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CVirtA
- Find the String Value called DisplayName
- Right-click and select Modify from the context menu.
- In Value data, remove @oemX.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;. The Value data should only contain Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows.
- Click Ok.
- Close Registry Editor.
- Retry your Cisco VPN Client connection.
I hope this has helped! If you have some extra time, drop a comment in the box below.
Join the conversation on Twitter @SuperTekBoy.