So, you have successfully moved all your users away from Exchange Server 2003, mail flow is redirected to the new server, the databases have been removed, recipient update policies removed and now you just need to know how to uninstall Exchange 2003 from the environment.
Well with the full version of Exchange you just simply go to Add or Remove Programs, select Exchange Server 2003 and hit the Change/Remove button.
However, there is no Exchange 2003 Add or Remove item with Small Business Server 2003, so where do you go?
The steps are quite simple and listed below.
- Open Add or Remove Programs from the Control Panel.
- Select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and click the Change/Remove button.
- The Microsoft Windows Small Business Server Setup dialog box appears. Click Next.
- Setup may detect requirements that have not been in met. In my case it threw a warning that my server had more than two processors. This is fine. You may receive other warnings or alerts so review this list carefully, then check I acknowledge all warnings and click Next.
- The next screen will warn you to close any applications or windows. Do as this says before proceeding and click Next.
- On the Component Selection screen, hit the drop down to the left of Exchange Server and select Remove. It is at this time Exchange will check if it can be successfully removed. You may receive errors at this point telling you what additional steps need to be taken before it can be uninstalled. Remediate any errors and restart setup (setup won’t recognize the remediation unless you close and reopen the uninstall wizard)
- If you receive no errors, then click Next.
- Exchange will then be removed.
- Reboot the server.