So, I ran into this issue today where a customer running Backup Exec 12.5 could not perform an Inventory Job against a single-loader tape drive. They had performed all the usual steps, such as power-cycling the library and then power-cycling the server, but still no dice. What made matters even more strange was that they could actually perform regular backups. They just couldn’t perform any tape operations. After a quick check with HP Tape Tools, confirming that everything hardware-wise was good, we quickly set our sights back on the software side. The fix was very simple. See below:
- Open Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 / 2010.
- Click the Devices tab.
- Select the name of the Media Server with a left-click.
- Right-click the name of the Media Server and choose Paused from the context menu.
- Right-click the name of the Media Server a second time and select Paused from the context menu again (you’ll notice the second time it had a checkmark against it).
- Retry the Inventory Job and other tape operations.
Hope this helps. I haven’t seen this problem occur in Backup Exec 2012 yet, so I can only assume this is an issue in the older versions of Backup Exec. I believe what this Pause / Resume toggling is fixing is a incorrect flag somewhere in the Backup Exec Database (BEDB).