With Exchange 2010 Service Pack 2 end of life April 8th, now is the time to upgrade to Service Pack 3.
It does not matter what service pack you are on (even if you are still RTM). The upgrade process is the same. You can directly upgrade from any other service pack. For example, SP1 to SP3.
Service Pack 3 includes many great new features. Including support for Windows Server 2012 and coexistence with Exchange 2013 CU1.
This Service Pack requires changes to the Active Directory Schema. So, once you have SP3 downloaded and unpacked you will need to fire up a command prompt.
Be sure that the account you are running this command from is a member of the Domain Admins, Enterprise Admins, and Schema Admins groups. Otherwise, this will fail.
Be sure to run this command from the same site and domain that the Schema Master is located. This command needs to be run from either a 64-bit domain controller or, a 64-bit operating system with RSAT-ADDS installed.
From a command prompt switch to the directory where you unpacked SP3.
Run the following command:
C:\> Setup.com /PrepareAD
The end result should look like this.
You can confirm this worked by checking the RangeUpper value in ADSI Edit. It should have a value of 14734.
Ok. Now its time to run the GUI setup.
We need to update our servers in the following order.
- Client Access servers
- Hub Transport / Edge Transport servers
- Mailbox servers
- Unified Messaging servers
Let’s get started!
- Run SETUP.EXE from the unpacked file.
- Click Install Microsoft Exchange Server Upgrade.
- Click Next.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- The Readiness Checks will check for any problems. In our example, we received a warning about preinstalling a hotfix for Windows Failover Clustering. We are not using a DAG, so we safely ignored this. Select Upgrade.
- If everything shows Completed, click Finish.
Checking your work
To confirm the upgrade, open Exchange Management Console and click Server Configuration. Verify the Version and Build number next to your Exchange Server. Service Pack 3 should read Version 14.3 (Build 123.4).
You are done!
How was your upgrade experience? Leave a comment and let us know!