Ever run into this error? You may see it when attempting to install or upgrade the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. I ran across it recently when upgrading to SEPM 12.1.5, but I’ve seen it on previous versions as well.
This may seem like an easy fix. Just reboot the server right? But oddly it never works. Regardless of how many times you reboot this message will always crop up.
When the installer runs it checks for a key in the registry. It’s this key that can cause this error. Thankfully this is an easy fix. For this, we need to modify the registry.
Quick registry change
- Click Start, type regedit and press enter (on older operating systems click Start > Run).
- Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
- Expand SYSTEM.
- Expand CurrentControlSet.
- Expand Control.
- Select Session Manager.
- In the right pane double click PendingFileRenameOperations.
- Delete everything in Value Data.
- Click Ok.
- Retry the install.
You should be all set.
We’d love to hear from you! Let us know what problems you have had when installing or upgrading the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. Drop a comment below.