One of the best-kept secrets in the hybrid configuration wizard (“HCW”)
is the F12 easter-egg. Jeff Kizner demonstrated this feature during his Ignite session back in September.
Tip: For a break down of Jeff’s session, with notes and timers, I highly recommend checking out 15 Ignite sessions every Exchange admin should see.
If you press F12 this enables a new section called Diagnostic Tools. This section provides shortcuts to the following tools or folders.
- Open Exchange Management Shell opens a remote PowerShell session to your on-premises Exchange servers.
- Open Exchange Online PowerShell opens a PowerShell connection to Exchange Online. This supports MFA-enabled admin accounts.
- Open Log File opens the active HCW log file in Notepad. The logs are stored in the profile of the user running the HCW. For example, C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exchange Hybrid Configuration
- Create Support Package will combine your HCW log files into a single ZIP file which can easily be sent to Microsoft support. This link actually opens a second screen where you can specify to ZIP logs from the last 24 hours, or, between a certain date range. You then have the option to copy the file to the clipboard so it can be easily attached to an email.
- Open Logging Folder opens the folder location of the HCW logs.
The HCW logs are stored in the profile of the user running the HCW. For example, C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exchange Hybrid Configuration
- Open Process Folder opens a Command Prompt to the HCW process directory.
Pressing F12 a second time will hide these tools.
What do you think about this easter-egg? Have you run into any cool easter-eggs in other Microsoft products? Drop a comment below or join the conversation on Twitter